Hello there again my fellow sea changers. As you may know, I spend a lot of time on this site researching way and means to make money online in an effort to fund that all important sea change. Today I am going to step away from the usual website building side of things by checking out a freelancing site called Textbroker.
I have discussed freelancing work in the past as a means of making money online either as a way to maintain an income whilst you build a website etc. or simply as an ongoing work from home job. So, can you make money with Textbroker?
Let's check it all out…
What is Textbroker?
Textbroker promotes itself as the “pioneer among content platforms” connecting content creators with content owners. As with other sites of this type such as Upworks and Fiverr, members can earn money via the creation of pieces of work such as:
- Blog posts
- Product descriptions
- Advertising copy
- Foreign language content and translation
From the point of view of someone looking to make money in this space, pricing starts at around $20 for a 1000 word, basic article up to around $72 for a ready to publish, professional quality article.
So, if you have skills as a writer of any of the above options, then there is money to be made here.
How does Textbroker work?
From the home page, there are essentially two options that can be accessed based on whether you want to write, or need something written. As we are obviously talking about making money online here and not outsourcing, then we will focus on the “I Write Content” section of the website.
“I Write Content”
For those looking to make some money as a freelance writer, once you select the I Write Content section of the website, you are presented with the following screen:
From there, you can click on the registration button to register for work with the following information:
- Profession/Field of study
- Area of expertise (i.e. what you can write about)
- Email information
You may then also be required to submit a writing example as part of the application.
Note: Textbroker.com authors must be at least 18 years of age and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
How do you get work?
As with most other sites of this type, once you submit your application you are assigned a rating. Ratings will determine both the types of jobs you can apply for and how much you can get paid. As you write more articles and become more trusted by content purchasers, your rating can increase leading to higher earning rates.
Once you have your rating in place, you can make submissions for work within Textbroker in one of three ways as follows:
- Choose from thousands of projects at your quality level.
- Payment is by word depending on your quality rating.
- Clients send projects directly to the author's inbox based on the information in their personalized author profile or successful cooperation in the past.
- Price per word can be negotiated regardless of the author's quality rating.
- Writers can join teams that write for specific clients.
- Price is set by the client for each piece of work required.
What do you need to consider?
The one thing to keep in mind here is that there is usually a bit of competition for each ‘job' and many clients tend to stick to those with a bit of writing history on the board (chicken meet egg). So as you start out, it can pay to make sure you account for the following as you apply for writing jobs:
1. Do your research – have a look around and see how others are working and writing within your chosen field. Have a look at their profiles to find out such information as to how they are offering their services, how they are described, keywords and tags used (this helps buyers find you), their product descriptions and how they have set up their profiles. Din't reinvent the wheel – check out what the experienced writers are doing and see how it fits with your own plans and what you may be able to offer that sets you apart.
2. Know your price – regardless of whether you agree with it or not, know what the current rate is for your rating. You will generally not get a look in for jobs looking for those on higher ratings than yourself.
3. Know your work – As with pricing, you need to know exactly what it is that you will be doing. This helps you plan the number of work offers you can accept as well as ensuring that you are not coming up short in what you have offered. Remember that Textbroker works on a rating and review system as well so if you fail to deliver part of what is expected or accept so many jobs that you cannot complete any of them then you will be doing yourself an injustice in the long run.
4. Sell yourself – As this platform has grown, more and more freelancers are joining up and with them, competition is obviously increasing. How you go about offering your services is a reflection of the work that you will do so if you have the space in the setup fields to outline your skills, what you do, how good you are and/or provide examples then do it. You need to be able to stand out from the crowd. Trust me, if you half-a$$ it here, you will not be hired.
Click on the button below to access my free training and you too can start your very own online business!!
Can you make money with Textbroker?
Absolutely you can! Like any legitimate online money making venture, it can take time and unless you are an expert, well-known or have a large portfolio, you are not going to be able to command top money immediately. However, as you start to do more, get your name out there and build a good rating status, you will be able to raise your prices to meet current market rates.
Do I recommend it?
Look, this is definitely one of the really good ways that you can develop an online business and fund your sea change. As long as you have a good work ethic, some patience to build a good following and the skills to produce good work, then this may be just the ticket for you.
To be honest, the only downside I see here is the constant addition of new writers to the platform and the fact that this method will not allow you set up a business with passive income – unless you start to sub contract your work.
And there it is – my honest opinion on whether you can make money with Textbroker. I hope it has been helpful and as usual, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, need some advice or have any experiences to share.
Do you want further assistance with some of the skills needed to make money with Textbroker or to set up some other online business building processes?
Are you looking for a comprehensive training platform that can give you step by step training, 24/7 support, tools to develop and host your very own website, ongoing assistance with SEO and social media and access to some of the best affiliate marketing minds on the planet, then click on the following link to read more about Wealthy Affiliate.
Until next time
Note: If you make a purchase from this page, there is a very good chance that I make a commission from it – these commissions do not increase your sale price. This may include sales made via Wealthy Affiliate.